Constructed in 1908 as a mixed-use commercial and residential building, 300 Independence is strategically situated near the U.S. Capitol and the House office buildings. Combined with an adjacent 2-story building for a total of 13,000 SF, the project included the complete renovation of both structures. The facades were restored, a new wood storefront compatible with the historic character was designed, and the basement floor slab was lowered 3 feet to allow for finished office space. The two buildings create a rear court area that is accessible by all tenants. In addition to base building renovations, the scope included the build-out of three tenant spaces simultaneously with the base building construction.